Henry Greene forced out after rape allegations
Embattled Commissioner of Police Henry Greene’s resignation has been finalized;
ending months of speculation over his continued tenure as the country’s Top Cop in the face of rape allegations made by a 34-year-old mother of two.
While senior government officials have declined to confirm Greene’s departure, Greene was offering ‘no comment’ to queries from various sections of the media.
The latest call for his ouster came from former Minister of Human Services and Social Security Priya Manickchand, who was responsible for piloting the new Sexual Offences Act of 2010.
Manickchand, who is now Minister of Education, is the highest ranking government official so far to call for Greene to step down.
Yesterday, Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee refused to confirm reports of Greene’s resignation, advising that the administration was likely to issue an official statement on the matter.
He also advised this newspaper to contact Greene himself.
Two days ago Rohee said that the jury was still out on Greene’s return to the top police post.
Acting Commissioner Leroy Brumell also declined to comment when approached by this newspaper.
Greene, who is over the age of retirement, had been on administrative leave since December 17, last year, to facilitate the investigation into the allegation made against him.
In what eventually turned out to be the scandal of the year, the 34-year-old woman alleged that she was raped by the Commissioner of Police at a city hotel.
The woman alleged that she was forced to have sex with Greene after she was induced with cash and a promise to assist her in a matter that is presently engaging the attention of the police.
Greene had dismissed the woman’s claims as mere allegations and had declared that god will be his judge, although he later admitted to having consensual sex with her.
Following weeks of investigations by a team of detectives from the Jamaica Constabulary Force, under the supervision of Crime Chief Seelall Persaud, the Director of Public Prosecution advised that Greene be charged with rape.
However, Greene successfully got the High Court to overturn the DPP’s advice with Chief Justice Ian Chang ruling that the decision to charge Greene was irrational.
Greene’s admission to having consensual sex with the woman was another major bone of contention, since it is being argued that he used his office in an improper manner.
The first to call for his resignation was his predecessor Winston Felix, who had told the media that it would have been the most honourable thing to do.
Felix’s call was followed by others from the Guyana Association of Women Lawyers and other women’s groups, and the main opposition political parties, the Alliance For Change and A Partnership for National Unity.
In December last year, AFC leaders Raphael Trotman and Khemraj Ramjattan called for Greene’s immediate removal from office.
“As a matter of fact, based on what we have heard, we feel that he ought to tender his resignation or the President ought to dismiss him….but at the very least at this stage… an interdiction,” Ramjattan had stated.
Trotman, commenting on the issue had declared that the matter was the first real test for newly elected Head of State Donald Ramotar.
The Guyana Association of Women Lawyers (GAWL) had also condemned Greene’s actions and had called on the administration to remove him as the Commissioner of Police.
“It is reasonable to conclude that Mr. Greene has in fact lost the moral authority to lead the Guyana Police Force and should therefore no longer be required to so do,” the GAWL said.
APNU had this to say: “In renewing our call we wish to remind the Guyanese public that having passed the age of retirement Mr. Greene is no longer the constitutional holder of the office of Commissioner of Police rather he is an employee/servant of the Government and as such he can be removed forthwith.”
This is not the first time that Greene’s name has been embroiled in a controversial issue which has threatened his tenure as the country’s chief lawman
In fact, his first day on the job, six years ago, was greeted with the announcement that the United States of America had revoked his visa to that country.
The Bharrat Jagdeo Government did not budge and retained him even in the face of severe criticism from several sections of the society.
They later argued that the decision to appoint Greene as Commissioner of Police was justified when, at the helm of the force, he presided over the demise of the infamous Rondell ‘Fine Man’ Rawlins and his criminal gang.
Greene’s tenure as the Commissioner of Police was extended after he had reached the age of retirement three years ago.
FEBRUARY 26, 2012 | BY KNEWS | FILED UNDER NEWS
-police say “due process” is being followed
Relatives of a 12-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped, are very upset with the actions of the police ranks at the Anna Regina Police Station.
They are far from pleased with the actions of the officers claiming that the matter is being dealt with in a “slow manner” and thus stalling the outcome of the case.
Reports are that the young girl and the 16-year-old boy attend the same secondary school on the Essequibo Coast. The girl is a first form student and the boy is in fifth form.
On February 9, last, the victim and the suspect were said to have left their school at 15:00hr and were walking along the seawalls when the incident took place.
According to the girl’s aunt, the matter was reported to the police at the Anna Regina Police Station the same day.
“My niece come home and tell me what happen and I took her to the station where a report was made. But this boy uncle works there and they seem to be taking so long to deal with the matter. It hasn’t been called up. No court matter and the boy not arrested and I don’t know if it is being covered up,” complained the aunt.
Kaieteur News contacted the police on Friday and was told by a senior officer that the matter was “following due process.”
The officer noted that while the report was made at the police station, the matter must be dealt with accordingly, therefore the actions of the police have to follow a certain process.
“We had to take handwritten statements from everyone, peruse them, type them out and investigate too. Then send the file to the Director of Public Prosecution’s office for advice and so on. We are presently in a process. The matter is not being covered up. It is being dealt with accordingly,” stated the police man.
The girl’s aunt is certain that it was not consensual sex because her niece explained to her that she did not “give consent” to the suspect.
According to the aunt, the two students were friends for a short time, since they only met when the girl started attending classes there during September.
Police have received reports that the mother of four of the boys in the sex-abuse case involving a Muslin scholar has received threats to her life.
The woman, who lives in a depressed community, has alleged that she was threatened yesterday by two members of the Turkeyen Masjid that has come under unwelcome scrutiny in the wake of a string of sexual abuse allegations that have been leveled against a senior member.
Kaieteur News understands that the woman has told police that she had just exited a bus near the Masjid at around 19:00 hrs yesterday when the two men approached her.
According to the woman’s statement, one of the men told her “yuh judgment gun red.”
She was reportedly also told that “my body gun drop and he will chop off my second son’s head.”
She subsequently made a report at the Turkeyen Police Station.
Kaieteur News understands that the ranks contacted the Sparendaam Police with a view of arresting the men, but were told that no vehicle was available at the time.
Imam remanded to prison on three counts of sexual molestation
After some two hours in the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court, the Imam at the center of a child sexual
molestation case was remanded to prison.
The Imam, 30 year-old Nizam Ali of Turkeyen, East Coast Demerara made his appearance early yesterday morning before Magistrate Alex Moore, charged with three counts of sexual penetration to a boy under the age of 12.
It is alleged that between December 2011 and January 2012, Ali also called ‘Mufti’, at ‘A’ Field Sophia, allegedly engaged in sexual penetration of a boy under the age of 12.
The acts were allegedly committed while he was in a position of trust, being a religious teacher and knew or could be reasonably expected to have known of the trust in relation to the boys.
The charge was indictable and the Imam was not required to plea. After lengthy back-and-forth arguments between his lawyers, Vic Puran and Latchmi Ranhamat and police Prosecutor Sergeant Brown on the question of bail, the hearing which was called in-camera came to an end. The Imam was remanded to prison until February 9th.
Meanwhile before the matter got underway, the Imam who was on station bail, arrived at the court with his mother, clad in a burgundy t-shit and a pair of grey jeans. Having realized that cameras were around, his mother tried her best to shield him while hurling threats at a reporter.
“Leave my son alone. don’t take he damn picture,” she shouted.
The woman then hid her son’s face under her arm as she ran with him up the court stairs. Once in court the woman gave her son a white rag as he sat as if he was praying.
Two short matters were called before Attorney at law Vic Puran asked to indulge the Magistrate’s attention to the Imam’s matter.
At that point all who had gathered in the courtroom were asked to exit as the matter was being done in-camera. It was only at that point persons were alerted that the man was the Imam they had been reading about for the past two weeks.
The reporters who were previously feeling the brunt of unkind remarks from persons were “cut some slack”.
“Y’all doing a good job. Y’all got to take his picture so everybody can see who this sick man is,” one man lamented.
As the Imam exited the courtroom two hours later, persons hurled distasteful remarks at him as he tried his best to hide his face. Even persons who had gathered along the roadside had tried to enter the courtroom to get a glimpse of him.
Meanwhile, relatives of some of the victims who were also at the court yesterday expressed their satisfaction over the progress that has been made in the matter.
“We don’t know what will come out but at least we are satisfied that he did not get bail.”
The charges have brought an end to widespread speculation that the investigation was compromised by the alleged involvement of the Director of Public Prosecution, Shalimar Ali-Hack.
However, the DPP had withdrawn herself from the process after denying that she had contacted police officials to secure bail for the suspect.
In all, seven boys were confirmed to have been sexually molested and it is very likely that more charges will follow.
The case against Alli had taken an interesting twist last week when, following the intervention of his attorney, investigators were advised to ascertain that the suspect was in Guyana when it is alleged that he committed the acts.
The Child Protection Agency (CPA) had said that it was prepared to work with the boys who claim they had been sexually molested.
The Agency had questioned the delay in instituting charges against the Imam, since the victims had already been examined and were confirmed to have been molested.
But the Guyana Police Force (GPF) said that the delays were aimed at ensuring that a proper investigation was conducted.
The offences were allegedly committed between December 2011 and January 2012 by the Imam at a Turkeyen, East Coast Demerara mosque, where the boys had been attending Arabic and Koran classes.
Vic Puran = this pedophile will be free as a bird in no time flat
Islamic scholar charged with having sex with boys
Written by Denis Scott Chabrol
Thursday, 02 February 2012
After several weeks of investigations, an Islamic Scholar was Thursday arraigned on three counts of having sex with a child and he was remanded to prison.
Neziaam Ali also called Mufti was not required to plea to the charges.
Sparendaam Magistrate, Alex Moore remanded Ali to prison until February 9 when he will re-appear in the same court.
The in-camera arraignment, in which all media personnel and other persons were asked to leave the courtroom, lasted for close to two hours. Only the mothers for the accused and one of the mothers who claimed that her sons have been abused were allowed inside.
Particulars of the charges are between December 5 and December 31, 2011 at D Field Sophia, Ali allegedly engaged in sexual penetration of a boy under the age of 12 years.
The acts were allegedly committed while he was in a position of trust, being a religious teacher and knew or could be reasonably expected to have known of the trust in relation to the boy.
The same charge applies to each of the three boys.
Ali’s Defence Lawyer is Vic Puran and prosecuting for the state is Police Sergeant Brown.
Prior to the case being called, the bearded accused was seen facing east and apparently praying in the company of his mother who was dressed in Muslim garb.
Medical examinations had confirmed sexual intercourse with at least three other boys but it is unclear whether police would charge him in connection with the others.
The man had allegedly had sexual intercourse with the boys at a Mosque in Section D, Pattensen-Turkeyen where they had gone for Islamic classes.
The charging and arraigning of Ali has ended weeks of ongoing debate about why the police were taking so long to prosecute the man. The Director of Public Prosecutions, Shalimar Ali-Hack had also had cause to assure that she would have dealt with the matter fairly although Ali is an employee of the Central Islamic Organisation of Guyana (CIOG).
Eventually, Ali-Hack recused herself from offering advice in the matter.
The CIOG has sent Ali on leave pending the outcome of the court hearing.
Imam Nizam Alli accused by minors of buggery in the CIOG sexual molestation scandal writes to police
Child molestation probe…Imam’s lawyer writes police
FEBRUARY 1, 2012 | BY KNEWS | FILED UNDER NEWS
The case against Imam Nizam Alli, who is accused of sexually molesting seven boys, has taken an interesting twist as investigators have now ascertained that the suspect was in Guyana when it is alleged that he committed the acts.
The investigators had moved to verify this piece of information following the intervention of an attorney purporting to represent the suspect.
Police sources investigating the matter are now carrying out additional investigations, reportedly as a result of the observations made by the attorney in a letter to Crime Chief Seelall Persaud.
According to one source, after intensive investigations, the initial file was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), through the Crime Chief, for advice on Friday last.
But the file never reached the DPP’s office.
“As far as I know, an attorney who claimed to represent the suspect sent a letter to a certain police office. The file was later returned to the East Coast with instructions to look into certain aspects of the lawyer’s letter,” said the source.
The aspects include claims that Alli was not in the jurisdiction when some of the victims alleged that they were molested.
This sent investigators scurrying to check with the Immigration Department to determine the merit of the claim, which they were subsequently able to dispel.
The DPP will now be in a position to finally advise on the matter.
A legal source who is closely monitoring the case expressed concern that the police were being used to do the work of the defence in the matter.
“It is the DPP who should be the one to ask the police to clear up certain positions and not the Defence Counsel,” the lawyer said.
Alli is presently on two sets of station bail, totaling $350,000.
The Child Protection Agency (CPA) had said that it was prepared to work with the several boys who claim they had been sexually molested. The Agency had questioned why the Imam has not been charged, since the boys have already been examined and confirmed to be molested.
But the Guyana Police Force (GPF) said the delays are aimed at ensuring proper investigations are conducted.
The DPP, Shalimar Ali-Hack has said “the police are free to conduct their independent investigations and to even proceed with the institution of charges without the advice of the DPP.”
But Crime Chief Seelall Persaud had said that the Force’s policy is to secure legal advice to ensure that all investigations are completed before the 45-day statutory limitation period.
He noted that the law gives the police more than the 30-day period within which to conduct its probe, send the file to the DPP for advice and await word on whether more investigations or details need to be acquired.
The offences were allegedly committed between December 2011 and January 2012 by the Imam at a Mosque where the boys had been attending Arabic and Koran classes.
The actions of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) office and the DPP herself, Shalimar Ali-Hack, in allegedly attempting to intervene in the case concerning allegations of sexual assault on little boys by a Muslim scholar is nothing less than stomach-churning if it is indeed true.
It should be noted that this is not the first time the DPP would have worked injustice instead of justice concerning the lives of the nation’s citizens.
In fact, the primary reason the NBS fraud case against three innocent men was allowed to wreak havoc on their lives for so long is because the DPP made sure a Preliminary Investigation [PI] was conducted even against the ruling of a magistrate and it is certainly no coincidence that the PI took years to complete.
Now that justice for these young children is in her hands, the police are claiming the DPP instead rose up to protect the alleged perpetrator? These actions do not equate to justice, but to yet more nauseating cronyism. The on-going injustice and widespread nepotism is making people sick.
President Donald Ramotar promised the country to put corruption high on his agenda. If that is in fact the case, it would seem the DPP office would be a perfect place to start rooting out those who are corrupt.
How many Guyanese have suffered so the DPP and her friends can do as they please? How many more Guyanese must be crushed while she makes a mockery of justice?
The process of justice in Guyana has been called into question many times recently for so many reasons. There are the three citizens being held for treason for over a year now. We have yet to hear anything on whether Police Commissioner Henry Greene is to be charged for sexual assault, though the file was to be given to the DPP this past week.
What about Odinga Lumumba’s assault on a polling official? This assault was more than cowardly attack against a woman; it was also an assault against democracy during a national election. When he assaulted this election agent, he assaulted the nation. Where is the justice that his woman and the nation deserve?
Will the nation see justice when Kwame McCoy goes to court in February over the alleged assaults by him against two people during the campaign season? If you asked anyone one the street this question, the immediate response would be in the negative. The people no longer believe in justice – and for good reason.
It is time to clean up the justice system. The tainted office of the DPP and the allegations against he top cop (again) show the depths to which the justice system has been dishonoured. Imagine a DPP office that attempts to cover up a sexual assault against children and a Police Commissioner who is being accused of sexual assault at gunpoint!
President Ramotar should be ashamed to call these the top officials of Guyana’s justice system.